It is currently Fri, 21-07-17, 16:32 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 05-03-08, 21:16 GMT 

ImageImage
Thats your landmask ver3 and no lines at all.
Great, Thank you Cartrite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 06-03-08, 4:52 GMT 

Cool,
:D And again your welcome.
cartrite

PostPosted: Mon, 23-06-08, 19:23 GMT 

Hello,
I tried to use the nmtools on Mac OS 10.4.11, but unfortunately I can't manage to run the software.
I tried to follow the instructions of the detailed tutorial. First I had the problem that I couldn't use the "make" command within the console, because I had to install the Mac OS Developer Tools first.

Now it seems to me that the installation was successful, but I don't get the desired feedback when typing in e.g. "nms". I get the error message "bash: nms: command not found".

If I check the directory (ls /usr/local/bin) I get a list with "nm2half, nm2pow2, nms, nmstiles, nmtiles...", which should be right.

Any thoughts what I am doing wrong?

Any help would be very appreciated.
Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 23-06-08, 20:43 GMT 
Site Admin

Frank,

well, I don't have a MAC, but we are talking about UNIX aren't we? So...you correctly placed your nmtools into a directory that should be in your bash shell's execution path. Check by typing into the console:

> echo $PATH
and see whether the result contains /usr/local/bin?
Good if it does...

Next, a program needs to have the execution flag set, in order to be recognized as an executable!!

How does one check the execution flag of a program? Remember?
Type at the console prompt

> ls -l /usr/local/bin/nms

The resulting output should roughly look like so, with only the beginning of the line being of interest:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 18257 Jan 20 01:05 /usr/local/bin/nms

At the beginning of the line you see the relevant flags: r=read, w=write and x=execute. There are 3 flag groups, separated by a '-' . The first one refers to the user who owns the file = the owner, the second to the users in the same group as the file owner and the third to all other users. So you must check whether each group of flags includes an x in your case!! Otherwise nms is not found by your bash shell.

Suppose some of these x'es are missing in your case. What to do next?
Just set the execution flags yourself!

> chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/nms

Check it by calling again

> ls -l /usr/local/bin/nms

At this point it might be worthwhile to try once more

> nms

What happens?

If you get a help output, you are in busines and then the other tools must be treated analogously.
This you can do much easier by a chdir to /usr/local/bin

> cd /usr/local/bin
and a single subsequent command

> chmod a+x nm*

Let me know....
Good luck,
Fridger

PS: Perhaps some of my local MAC friends can comment about some MAC specific issues?

PPS: For you as an 'end user' of the nmtools there was NO need whatsoever to use 'make' since I have added already the compiled executables for the MAC to the nmtools distribution. Also, are you sure that you used the nmtool executables for the right operating system (MAC) ? You simply need to copy the ones from the distribution's subdirectory 'OSX_universal_MAC.bin' into the execution directory /usr/local/bin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 24-06-08, 6:46 GMT 

Fridger, thank you very much for the fast response!

OK, I tried your first test step: "echo $PATH": my result is different of your description:
I get: /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

If I try: "ls -l /usr/local/bin/nms" I get the following result:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 933996 Jun 23 18:23 /usr/local/bin/nms

so the execute rights should be right, but there is a difference (staff instead of root). I don't know what that means...

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 24-06-08, 8:24 GMT 
Site Admin

frankramspott wrote:
Fridger, thank you very much for the fast response!

OK, I tried your first test step: "echo $PATH": my result is different of your description:
I get: /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

If I try: "ls -l /usr/local/bin/nms" I get the following result:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 933996 Jun 23 18:23 /usr/local/bin/nms

so the execute rights should be right, but there is a difference (staff instead of root). I don't know what that means...

Frank

Frank,

so we got the reason for your problem: The standard UNIX execution directory /usr/local/bin for local executables is not part of your PATH variable (whatever the reasons). Then any executable program in that /usr/local/bin directory cannot be found by your bash shell. This includes of course, 'nms' and all the other nmtools...The PATH content for 'root' and 'users' is indeed different, usually. How about typing into the console the command

> whoami

Are you 'root' at that point?

Anyway, all you got to do is to add /usr/local/bin to PATH.

You might first do it temporaily, in order to try things out: type in your console

> export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
check what you did, by calling again

> echo $SHELL
Now /usr/local/bin should be part of PATH.

Try again to call

> nms

Now you should get the help text. Right?

To make the above 'export PATH=...' statement permanent you can just add it with an editor to the .bashrc profile in your HOME directory. You find the latter by typing 'cd'.

Good luck,
Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 24-06-08, 9:53 GMT 

Hello Fridger,

Thank you very much for your help.

Unfortunately there is still something wrong. Ok here's my result:
> whoami: root

After the export PATH command I get with "echo $SHELL": /bin/tcsh

Now I get some information when I type "nms":
dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/libpng.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/nms
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

Probably it's a problem with tcsh or bash. The start mode of my console is always tcsh. To change to bash I simply typed "bash". I that correct?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 24-06-08, 14:55 GMT 
Site Admin

Frank,

I am sorry, I mistyped a UNIX command (thinking about something else while typing ;-) )

> echo $SHELL

tells you the active shell. Which after all was also useful ;-) . Yet, I meant you to type

> echo $PATH

instead, in order to control whether now /usr/local/bin is correctly included in the execution PATH

I thought you are using /bin/bash and NOT /bin/tcsh ?? bash is by far the most popular one and is best developed. The standard UNIX command for changing a user's shell is

>chsh -s /bin/bash username

Then you need to re-login to your console. For 'username' you must insert 'root' and in a second command also your normal username. No idea what this is, of course.

In order to see whether .bashrc is read, you may enter into .bashrc with an editor a test output, like so

echo "Hallo I wonder whether it works?"

Upon re-login to the console, you should see that sentence printed.

Quote:
dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/libpng.dylib
Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/nms
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap

No idea how you managed to generate these outputs???

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 24-06-08, 20:20 GMT 

Yeah, now I was succesful to run the nmtools. Great feeling!
Fridger, thank you so much for your very helpful messages.

The error message above came from the installation try of version 1.5pre1, I think. At the beginning of all installation process I tried to install both the version 1.0.1 and 1.5pre1. I didn't realized that there are same script names (e.g. nms). So it seems to me that there was some confusion between the new and the old files.

Now, after doing a crash course in UNIX (I never did anything within the UNIX console before), I deleted all the nmtools files and tried to install the version 1.0.1 from scratch. Now it runs. That's great!
Now I have to try the next steps...

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 24-06-08, 21:18 GMT 
Site Admin

Congratulations Frank!

It's always a good feeling after some considerable struggle ;-)

Only one more hint: Please install version 1.5pre1 of the nmtools!!! This version gives identical results to 1.01, BUT is about a factor of TWO faster. Also there is nicer info output about what's going on...

You always find all links to my latest tool versions here:
http://forum.celestialmatters.org/viewtopic.php?t=70

Moreover, this thread has also a host of valuable information about raw input data and latest versions:
http://forum.celestialmatters.org/viewtopic.php?t=44

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 25-06-08, 8:28 GMT 

Hello Fridger,

now I realized, why I had the error message. After trying to install the version 1.5pre1 using the ’make -f Makefile.osx install‘ command, it seems to me that the file 'libpng.dylib' wasn't installed. So I simply copied that file into /usr/local/bin. Now if I type 'nms' the normal help text is on the screen. So lets go further with double speed :-)

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 25-06-08, 8:52 GMT 

Hmmm, if I am 'root' the script runs well, but if I am normal user the file 'libpng.dylib' will not found.
Fridger, do you know, where the file ''libpng.dylib' has to be placed?
I tried /usr/local/bin and /usr/lib: both paths seems wrong to me.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed, 25-06-08, 17:11 GMT 
Site Admin

If you used the command 'make -f Makefile.osx' in the subdir 'src' of the nmtools distribution, then libpng.dylib and all the tools should have been installed correctly. I don't know of course what you did instead. Since apparently your UNIX know-how is "limited" there might be some mistakes on the way...

If 'make' doesn't work for you (since you installed it incorrectly), you might simply copy libpng.dylib to
/usr/local/lib, I suppose. But to make sure that it is found you should check first

> echo $LIBPATH

which should contain /usr/local/lib. If not you may add it like in case of $PATH. If that directory does not exist, you must create it with

> mkdir /usr/local/lib

That's all I can say without seeing your installation.

Good luck,
Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 26-06-08, 11:23 GMT 

Thank you Fridger for your effort and help.

Now I used 'root' to create the normal maps. Worked very well. Amazing speed, indeed. Great tool.

If I'm using my user account I couldn't start the scripts 'nms' and 'nmtiles'. I created a directory /usr/local/lib and copied the 'libpng.dylib' file into that directory. I did the export LIBPATH routine and the echo $LIBPATH command showed the right path (:/usr/local/lib). But the error message 'dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/libpng.dylib' still occured. So I used the 'root'-account to get to a result...

Have a great day!
Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 26-06-08, 16:46 GMT 
Site Admin

Congratulations!

Fridger

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next