It is currently Fri, 28-04-17, 2:36 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu, 04-03-10, 23:18 GMT 
Site Admin

Hi all,

on February 9 and 17, 2010, new cylindrical maps of Tethys (11k) and Enceladus (14k), respectively, have been officially released by the Ciclops team, showing an unprecedented level of detail. Moreover, with exception of one (rather unimportant) Enceladus mosaic, the textures now involve ONLY imaging from the Cassini mission.

http://ciclops.org/maps.php

I thought you might be interested in a preview, in front of typical colored Celestia.Sci "galactic background" :lol: .

Celestia.Sci will actually include a semi-automatic download of hires textures, based at Celestial Matters. The hires set will also include virtual textures, as obtained in highest quality with my texture tools. Like e.g. VT's from the new 16k Tethys and Enceladus maps below. The procedure will be similarly automatic as the large optional star database downloads in Stellarium! The big advantage being that many textures of poor or uneven quality will become redundant, the new maps will be state-of-the-art and will surely show lots more fascinating detail! People with insufficient storage simply don't need to "push the button", yet may enjoy a much more compact default set of best possible quality, based on the same scientific imaging data.

No there is NO release date yet ;-)

Let me close with some fascinating shots of the new Tethys & Enceladus imaging:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Don't forget to click the images for a GRAND VIEW ;-)

Tethys:

Enceladus:

Enjoy,
Fridger

Last edited by t00fri on Sun, 07-03-10, 21:07 GMT, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri, 05-03-10, 2:32 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Celestia.Sci will actually include a semi-automatic download of hires textures, based at Celestial Matters. The hires set will also include virtual textures, as obtained in highest quality with my texture tools. Like e.g. VT's from the new 16k Tethys and Enceladus maps below. The procedure will be similarly automatic as the large star database downloads in Stellarium! The big advantage being that many textures of poor or uneven quality will become redundant, the new maps will be state-of-the-art and will surely show lots more fascinating detail! People with insufficient storage simply don't need to "push the button", yet may enjoy a much more compact default set of best possible quality, based on the same scientific imaging data.

Will there also be an option (for those of us comfortable with using your tools) to download a BIN file and make the tiles ourselves, instead of downloading already pre-built tile sets?
As you know, this is far more efficient in terms of time and bandwidth than downloading full tile sets (especially for those of us whose ISP limits our monthly broadband usage! :evil:

t00fri wrote:
I thought you might be interested in a preview, in front of typical colored Celestia.Sci "galactic background" :lol: .

Looks very nice. The only *negative* comment I have is that to my eye, some of those galaxies look a little too bright. A bit too much disco perhaps? :lol:
The premise of Celestia has always been to show what things would look like to the naked eye. In the interests of Scientific accuracy perhaps they should be toned down a little bit so that they are more "naked eye" than "hubble".
Of course I haven't been on the ISS (yet! :mrgreen:) so I'm no real judge of how bright they would appear to the naked eye when viewed from space, but they just seem a little too bright to me... especially that large one on the right.

Have you enlisted the opinion of any experienced astronauts? Perhaps Rocketman has some contacts? :lol:

CC

CITIZENS OF CM - JOIN THE REVOLUTION
...reduce your avatar to 40x40 (or just black it out)
CLICK HERE FOR INFO & BLACKOUT AVATAR

THE AVATARS ARE REVOLTING !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 05-03-10, 14:43 GMT 
Site Admin

CC,

thanks for your comments.

CC wrote:
Will there also be an option (for those of us comfortable with using your tools) to download a BIN file and make the tiles ourselves, instead of downloading already pre-built tile sets?
As you know, this is far more efficient in terms of time and bandwidth than downloading full tile sets (especially for those of us whose ISP limits our monthly broadband usage! :evil:

Certainly, there will always be a collection of links @CM to original imaging data and links for download of my tools in source and binary form.

As to binary VT tile sets one can easily group the levels into hires & "super" - hires sets, just like it is done with the field stars in Stellarium. It is my principal aim to achieve a standardized texture "fidelity", defined solely in terms of the original scientific input data and the output from the tools. Actually the DXT (DDS) quality is meanwhile so good that a visual distinction from lossless PNG standard is becoming VERY hard. The DXT rendering performance, however, plays in a completely different "league". Since space missions (Ciclops,...) have now started to target really hires maps (16k,...) it would be a pity to vast the opportunity of corresponding hires visualization !

A universe simulation without state-of-the-art textures is like a hifi set without good loudspeakers ;-)

All this has to be seen together with an important Celestia.Sci feature: a loader/unloader for specialized data sets on the fly! More about this, when the code is ready...

Quote:
t00fri wrote:

Looks very nice. The only *negative* comment I have is that to my eye, some of those galaxies look a little too bright. A bit too much disco perhaps? :lol:
The premise of Celestia has always been to show what things would look like to the naked eye. In the interests of Scientific accuracy perhaps they should be toned down a little bit so that they are more "naked eye" than "hubble".
Of course I haven't been on the ISS (yet! :mrgreen:) so I'm no real judge of how bright they would appear to the naked eye when viewed from space, but they just seem a little too bright to me... especially that large one on the right.

Have you enlisted the opinion of any experienced astronauts? Perhaps Rocketman has some contacts? :lol:

CC

Actually, I have decided to follow a different, yet much more versatile approach to visualizing (DSO) color in Celestia.Sci. I have completed already most of the respective new code, and a corresponding "white paper" will come very soon in this department. ;-) . Almost my entire galaxy code in Celestia-1.6. has been rewritten from scratch for this purpose and works nicely already.

We have all learned meanwhile that a consistent, visual level of displaying the Universe is impossible for quite a number of reasons.

Hence visual appearance will not remain to be an aim for Celestia.Sci, and in fact, would represent a far too narrow framework (see below). In most cases, we only have access to photographic imaging with specific spectral sensitivities. Deriving the visual appearance of objects quantitatively from there is hardly possible in the majority of cases...Yes we could ask some ISS astronauts, but that would solve only a small part of the problem.

Nevertheless, I shall strictly follow a scientific strategy of visualization that will attempt to display ALL available data --including color information-- in a one-to-one reproducable manner. Color information (beyond) mere visual impressions represents thoroughly basic knowledge and should therefore NOT be ignored.

Since the standard DSO catalogs do contain precise color information (B-V, ...) this will be rendered in a precise manner as well. I have normalized the galaxy color visualization in Celestia.Sci to the spectral sensitivity and composition of the huge SDSS survey . As you will see soon, the new galaxy appearance in Celestia.Sci is actually quite close to the SDSS imaging. Besides being scientifically well-defined, it also looks quite pretty, actually ;-)

There is VERY little resemblance anymore with galaxies in the Celestia-1.6.x distribution. Here is just a quick snapshot comparison for some crowded elliptical galaxy view (Coma cluster) in SDSS and my new ellipticals. I think it's not too exaggerated to speak of an almost "photorealistic" rendering.

Coma cluster, SDSS photo

Coma cluster, Celestia.Sci

There will be lots of details soon about how this was achieved. The galaxies shown are pretty dim already (14-17 magnitude) and clearly the dimmest SDSS galaxies are still missing.

Since Celestia.Sci is to also realize my old dream of multi-wavelength astronomical visualization /filtering , such an extended approach to color appears unavoidable. Astronomy restricted to just the visual band has only remained a comparably SMALL branch of contemporary scientific exploration of the Universe, as you surely know.

Finally:
Quote:
seem a little too bright to me... especially that large one on the right.

The "large one at right" is Sagittarius dSph, a dwarf galaxy about to collide with the MilkyWay that was discovered only very recently. Due to the closeness to the light of our galaxy, there is virtually NO usable photographic imaging yet. But it's known to be VERY bright: 3.8 mag. The surface brightness may be low, however. Anyway, we don't know how bright that dwarf looks like AWAY from the canonical perspective, as e.g. on my above pictures.

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 06-03-10, 16:47 GMT 

Erstaunlich! (here sinceraly, more for your .Sci background than for textures :wink: )

Quote:
A universe simulation without state-of-the-art textures is like a hifi set without good loudspeakers Wink

Agree. Finally an "audio" metaphor instead of the usual "video" ones! "State of the art", "hifi", "loudspeakers"; do you are also an esoteric audio (scientist) researcher? :D
Well, never mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 06-03-10, 19:01 GMT 
Site Admin

fenerit wrote:
Erstaunlich!

Hey Massimo,

didn't know that you were mastering German perfectly ;-)

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 06-03-10, 22:49 GMT 

The Odysseus crater is a pretty spectacular feature, no? Looking very interesting for Celestia.Sci...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 06-03-10, 23:01 GMT 
Site Admin

ajtribick wrote:
The Odysseus crater is a pretty spectacular feature, no? Looking very interesting for Celestia.Sci...

Yes & thanks :lol:

F.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun, 07-03-10, 21:02 GMT 
Site Admin

Hi,

for completeness, here is also a screenshot with the new Rhea map (February 9th, 2010) by the Ciclops team.

http://ciclops.org/maps.php

While there are many regions with amazing detail, there are still others with a lot less. This does not look all that nice... Anyway, it's also a 11k map.

Don't forget to click the image for a GRAND VIEW :lol:

Rhea

Enjoy,
Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 18-06-10, 10:45 GMT 

Okay, I've been watching this space for a while now in anticipation of Celestia-Sci...

Any more news as to when we might expect this rather anticipated delivery. :roll:
Sorry Good Doctor, but I find that the older I get, the more impatient I become. :D

Thanks, Brain-Dead (and probably short-lived) Bob Hee, hee...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 18-06-10, 13:35 GMT 
Site Admin

BobHegwood wrote:
Okay, I've been watching this space for a while now in anticipation of Celestia-Sci...

Any more news as to when we might expect this rather anticipated delivery. :roll:
Sorry Good Doctor, but I find that the older I get, the more impatient I become. :D

Thanks, Brain-Dead (and probably short-lived) Bob Hee, hee...

Bob,

sorry, NO news about a release date of Celestia.Sci yet. I am all by myself on the coding front, and most importantly: some HOT experimental findings at the LHC collider currently absorb my full devotion!

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 18-06-10, 15:51 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Bob,

sorry, NO news about a release date of Celestia.Sci yet. I am all by myself on the coding front, and most importantly: some HOT experimental findings at the LHC collider currently absorb my full devotion!

Fridger

Okay, I can understand your priorities easily here.
Thanks very much for the update though. Like I said, eager with anticipation.
Will wait as long as I can. :wink:

Thanks, Brain-Dead