It is currently Fri, 17-08-18, 4:01 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed, 28-03-18, 13:54 GMT 

hi all new here
i want to make a VT (fig i might as well post this new 6 core 12 thread CPU to work! so i Dled a 2gb png from nasa of mercury (i want to test with 2 GB version then i will go the 20 GB version) everything im finding "how to wise on how to install and do this stuff is like 16 years old and doesnt reflect what things are today
i downloaded both zip files and unzipped when i click on one of the exe's to open it opens and then closed any idea how to fix?

i dont get how it cant be more simple you take a pic and cut it up into peaces not that hard sounding to me ...

any and all help would be great

PostPosted: Wed, 28-03-18, 14:32 GMT 

These tools are command line programs!
You are supposed to unzip them somewhere, and then go to that directory with a "command prompt" (or add the directory to your PATH variable). From there, you execute the programs by calling them with the right arguments like the path to your image and other options.

Read the useful README files in the ZIPs to know what commands and options are available.
Also, have a look at the tutorial here http://www.celestialmatters.org/?q=node/10 to get a better idea how these things work.

Steffen

PostPosted: Wed, 28-03-18, 16:08 GMT 

ohh ok .. thats a new one to me i have never known a Exe that has to be run though a command prompt i fig thats why it was a windows EXE to install the program its on the hard drive it should open i thought

PostPosted: Wed, 28-03-18, 20:23 GMT 
Site Admin

Happy Easter ...

:°

Fridger

PS: Thanks Steffen for directing him already along the right track, and of course, for recommending my nm tutorial with examples and more.

PostPosted: Thu, 29-03-18, 3:51 GMT 

Quote:
ohh ok .. thats a new one to me i have never known a Exe that has to be run though a command prompt

even in win95 the terminal was used all the time
and for say "lotus-123 " well.....

there was NO gui on the Commodore 64 i used in the 80's
the interface was the terminal and used BASIC with a cassette tape drive from a portable cassette player

PostPosted: Thu, 29-03-18, 13:45 GMT 

John Van Vliet wrote:
Quote:
ohh ok .. thats a new one to me i have never known a Exe that has to be run though a command prompt

even in win95 the terminal was used all the time
and for say "lotus-123 " well.....

there was NO gui on the Commodore 64 i used in the 80's
the interface was the terminal and used BASIC with a cassette tape drive from a portable cassette player

my first hard drive i bought was a 420 MB for 420 bucks

im not sure i follow your line of thinking ... cus it was like it back in the day it is like it now?

PostPosted: Sun, 08-04-18, 9:52 GMT 

No fcvpi99,

what John is getting at is that since the beginning of computers if you know what you are doing you don't need a GUI.

Command line tools are mostly more potent and agile as programs that come with a GUI. And if you don't read the "README" and know what you are doing may be more dangerous.
They are more flexible and let you do things in batches.
Command line tools are still very much in use these days, mostly by Admins.
Normal users are discouraged to know anything about how things really work by (bad) GUIs and worse smartphone APPs. :twisted:

BTW: "Normal" GUI programs just give you a graphical (limited) input mask where you tell it what you want. And then behind that maks runs a command line with the parsed inputs.

Best regards,

Guckytos

PostPosted: Mon, 09-04-18, 10:24 GMT 
Site Admin

Perfect Christian (Guckytos),

that had to be said once at least! Many thanks.

Another special feature of command-line action is the 'pipe' feature or more precisely
the so-called STDIN/STDOUT redirection, along with the possibility to plug several command-line tools together like pipe fittings as illustrated below:
Attachment:
pipe.jpg
pipe.jpg [ 12.3 KiB | Viewed 756 times ]

Generic explanation:
+++++++++++++++++
Suppose we have 3 utilities called program1, program2 and program3. Moreover let 'infile' be the name of our input file for program1, and 'outfile' the filename we like to use for storing the output data from program3. Then using the ' | ' pipe and ' < ', ' > ' redirection operators, we may write in all 4 supported operating systems equally at the console prompt (cf. also fig2!):

program1 < infile | program2 | program3 > outfile

It should now be intuitively obvious what this command line will be doing for you:

program1 reads the input file 'infile', does some calculations with it and produces some output into its STDOUT channel. This in turn is piped via ' | ' to STDIN of program2 which continues to do calculations, now with the output from program1 etc. Finally, the desired output from program3 will be stored in 'outfile'.

This command line is still a bit oversimplified, since in general, each of the utilities rquires some additional parameters to work correctly as desired. You will see the finalized form of these commands further down.

++++++++++++++++++
Note also that the same (pipe) structures of my tools hold in Linux, MacOS and Windows (!).

It should also be remembered that my tools include many important optimizations and special memory management for really LARGE (multi-GB!) textures. ImageMagic utilities will typically NOT be able to handle multi-GB files.
++++++++++++++++++

Fridger