It is currently Mon, 18-12-17, 3:12 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 17-02-12, 23:31 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
t00fri wrote:
While these stripes may be eliminated in principle by combining a low-pass and a high-pass filter, it's not so straightforward for >= 32k texture sizes. Here ISIS3 .cub files exceed the hard 2GB size limit and the powerful destriping routines of ISIS3 cease to work.

I'm not sure why this would happen. But I did see in the ISIS support forum that file sizes can be set in ./ISIS/ISISPREFRENCES or something to that effect. Maybe this is why?

I can remember doing a lot of HiRISE images in color which were well over 2 GB and I can't remember having any problems running hipass or lowpass. I believe I did work on them 1 band at a time though? Not sure now.

But this is in the ISIS docs.
Quote:
Please note: there is currently a 2GB filesize limit on the output image. This limit does not apply to output JPEG2000 files. JPEG2000 files can be output as 8-bit, signed 16-bit, or unsigned 16-bit files.

cartrite

Steve,

I had a look for the config file IsisPreferences. There is nothing in $HOME. But in /opt/isis3/isis. Actually the cube size was set (default) to 12 GB! But actually, my error message referred to a Qt lib that was not able to handle more than 2GB.

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 18-02-12, 1:06 GMT 

Quote:
A lot of the work I did on larger files was via scripts. This may be the reason I never had a problem. I think the qt libs are called when using the gui's? but not command line scripts?

Maybe?
cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 18-02-12, 11:09 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
Quote:
A lot of the work I did on larger files was via scripts. This may be the reason I never had a problem. I think the qt libs are called when using the gui's? but not command line scripts?

Maybe?
cartrite

Steve,

Unfortunately this suspicion of yours is not right. At least not for my isis3 version 3.2.0.

Meanwhile I reproduced the error in isis2std, trying to convert a 64k grayscale .cub (~8.5 GB!) to .png with the command line:

> isis2std from=moon_64k.cub to=test.png

**USER ERROR** Cube exceeds max size of 2GB. Qimage cannot support that much raw data. Your cube is 2.0 GB.

The same error I get when I try to use the isis2std GUI.
Note that my cube size is 8.5 GB NOT 2 GB...

Given this fact, I looked at the isis3 forum where the same problem was discussed. Here is the authoritative answer by isis support team member ssides

ssides wrote:
ISIS is using the Qt interface for the output of standard file formats (png, jpeg, tiff, ...). Qt is limited to 2GB files. With a 9GB input, it is very possible that no amount of compression will allow you to save the file in less than 2GB. We are planning to find a better answer than using Qt for this, but it is not on the schedule yet.

One might think there was an easy workaround in this case: gdal_translate
BUT under Linux (at least)

> gdal_translate -of png moon_64k.cub moon_64k.png

GDALOpen failed - 4
`moon_64k.cub' not recognised as a supported file format.

This contradicts the statement from

> gdal_translate --formats

inquiry that the isis3 .cub format is supported in read-only mode (not in creation mode, though!). It might be that Windows works, since the GDAL version there is a bit more recent.

Sigh...

Sure enough, there is "light at the end of the tunnel" ;-)
Unlike isis2std, isis2raw works (being not based on a Qt lib)
This matches also your earlier suspicion:

> isis2raw from=moon_64k.cub to=test.bin bittype=8bit

Since my F-TexTools also work for "arbitrarily" large files, one uses my
bin2png command subsequently, to achieve the PNG conversion for monster-sized ISIS3 cube files.

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 18-02-12, 14:07 GMT 

cartrite wrote:
EDIT If I remember correctly, :wink: I don't think there is a file size limit on the isis2raw program. That way you could use your tools to convert to png. /EDIT

cartrite

I'm not senile after all :D

But still, this doesn't explain why the filters wouldn't work on a large cub file :? Maybe a bug?

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 18-02-12, 14:23 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
I'm not senile after all :D
cartrite

Right, as I wrote in my previous post

t00fri wrote:
Unlike isis2std, isis2raw works (being not based on a Qt lib)
This matches also your earlier suspicion

Fridger ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 18-02-12, 14:41 GMT 

Concerning gdal, I used to build my own from source using a bigTiff lib. I do remember having problems using gdal with big files and that is what I used as a work around. Not sure if your case is the same though.

cartrite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 18-02-12, 15:18 GMT 
Site Admin

cartrite wrote:
Concerning gdal, I used to build my own from source using a bigTiff lib. I do remember having problems using gdal with big files and that is what I used as a work around. Not sure if your case is the same though.

cartrite

So far I received an error associated with libpng only under Windows in case of the very big .jp2 to .png conversion (> 8.5 GB). Under Linux, the conversion took a long time (4 h) but worked fine. But anyway I do not intend to go for these super-monsters, since in my view a good scientific-level texture coloration (from templates) is more important than mere file size. The maximum size for coloration is limited to ~ 32k, since I need GIMP for that.

Fridger