It is currently Fri, 15-11-19, 16:43 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri, 23-05-08, 17:37 GMT 
Site Admin

Hi all,

I thought people might be interested in preparing some great new textures for Dione and Enceladus, using my F-TexTools. The new raw data represent the state of the art imaging information on these two Saturnian moons as of to date!

These large new textures (23040 x 11520 for Dione and 14400 x 7200 for Enceladus) reside on the official NASA/cassini ftp archives,

http://pdsimg.jpl.nasa.gov/data/cassini ... ta/images/

and

http://pdsimg.jpl.nasa.gov/data/cassini ... ta/images/

in PDS .IMG format. Since presumably, not everyone has the ISIS3 (conversion) tools installed, I thought I quickly do the conversion for you...
The relevant PDS .IMG files were converted into the attached 8bit (grayscale) binary input files for my F-TexTools,

SD_1M_0_0_SIMP.bin (Dione, 23040 x 11520)
SE_500K_0_0_SIMP.bin (Enceladus, 14400 x 7200).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Click here:
Dione and Enceladus Download (188 MB)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The conversion went in two steps:

By means of the ISIS3 tool, 'pds2isis', the pds .IMG files were first converted into ISIS3 .cub (cube) files. Then, with the command 'isis2raw' they were converted to the desired 8bit binary format as needed for the F-TexTools.

The associated label files (.lbl) were extracted from the .cub files and included here, again with the help of an ISIS3 tool (catlab). They contain all info about image sizes etc.

The standard mission naming notation has been retained. It is explained in
http://pdsimg.jpl.nasa.gov/data/cassini ... tainfo.txt

The resulting binary grayscale textures may be quickly converted to an optimized VT tile set or scaled to smaller size PNG textures, by means of my F-TexTools. Note, the included binary raw input data contain LOSSLESS imaging information!

Here are a couple of typical examples of F-TexTool commands for the Dione texture that might be of interest:
    1) reduction to closest power of 2 size and conversion to a 16k PNG file:
    tx2pow2 1 23040 < SD_1M_0_0_SIMP.bin | bin2png 1 16384 > SD_1M_0_0_SIMP_16k.png

2) any smaller power of 2 sizes are obtained by inserting 'tx2half' commands before the final PNG conversion.

Publication of any results obtained with my F-TexTools or from these binary textures on the MotherLode server is NOT endorsed!

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri, 23-05-08, 19:48 GMT 

Hey thanks a lot Doctor...
Good stuff, and I really appreciate the conversion to binary for us "You know who" types. :wink:

Edit: Just FYI... I ended up with a 16K VT for Dione and an 8K VT for Enceladus. Note that I had not one question for you during this process. :lol:

Thanks again, Brain-Dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 24-05-08, 7:40 GMT 
Site Admin

Guys, that's really nice.

Now, question; could one of those who have already create those textures could generate some low res to replace the ones in the official package?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 24-05-08, 8:46 GMT 
Site Admin

BobHegwood wrote:
Edit: Just FYI... I ended up with a 16K VT for Dione and an 8K VT for Enceladus. Note that I had not one question for you during this process. :lol:

Thanks again, Brain-Dead

Bob,

that's how it should be. Happy to see that it works this way...Incidentally, with your modern graphics equipment, you could as well just run 16k and 8k DDS or JPG versions, without chopping them into VTs. Even I can do this easily with my old 256MB FX card.

Cheers,
Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 24-05-08, 8:49 GMT 
Site Admin

ElChristou wrote:
Guys, that's really nice.

Now, question; could one of those who have already create those textures could generate some low res to replace the ones in the official package?

See the respective discussion in the dev list. ;-) .

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 24-05-08, 13:23 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
that's how it should be. Happy to see that it works this way...Incidentally, with your modern graphics equipment, you could as well just run 16k and 8k DDS or JPG versions, without chopping them into VTs. Even I can do this easily with my old 256MB FX card.

Yes, I am well aware of my current graphics capabilities... I prefer, however, to create alternate texture VT's so that I can switch to the higher detail (when I wish to) without any drops in FPS, or other performance slow-downs when I'm simply browsing through the neighborhood. :wink:

I can actually view 8K textures on my machine, but I just do not like the previously-mentioned slow-down in performance while exploring.

Besides, look at how much your texture tools tutorials have helped one old, Brain-Dead Geezer get his Solar System in order. :D Great stuff, and thanks once again for all of your help here.

Take care, Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 24-05-08, 14:23 GMT 

Well, here an example of "Pay one, take three!".
Using the wonderful F-textools with Fridger's converted Enceladus and Dione Cassini textures, here what I obtained:

Foreground Dione, middle Enceladus, background Saturn with rings. :wink:
I love them, many many thanks to Fridger!
Bye

Andrea :D

Last edited by Andrea on Sat, 24-05-08, 17:07 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 24-05-08, 15:52 GMT 
Site Admin

Great, Andrea!

I know from own experience that for such F-TexTool tasks and given some knowledge of how to use the tools ;-) , it's only a matter of < 1 minute before any desired final texture is ready for Celestia!

My dream would actually be for the future that the Cyclops imaging team would strive to further improve the seams of their composite, official cylindrical maps. So we could directly import their official textures into Celestia via some standard (shell script) commands for my F-TexTools...

Dione is a first pretty good such example, where the seams have been much improved! The official Titan from Cyclops is still pretty horrible in this respect:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ciclops_ir_2007 ... Tx%2B8Y%3D

No wonder that NASA sometimes prefers MY (orange) Titan texture (without giving reference, of course ;-)): Here, have a look (I think it's also my blue 'hat' Saturn and my Titan cloud texture, but I'm not sure). My orange Titan comes about half way through the video in the lower right...

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/videos/cassini/ ... -480cc.mov

Cheers,
Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 24-05-08, 17:51 GMT 
Site Admin

The issue about Dione's "lacking color" is really a bit hard to believe. Here I found some recent "natural color" image, that looks MUCH better than a pure grayscale!

http://ciclops.org/view.php?id=2911

It's not much color, but significant, I think... I shall use that image as a template for coloration of my personal Dione texture.

Here is the accompanying info:

Quote:
Images taken using red, green and blue spectral filters were combined to create this natural color view. The images were taken in visible light with the Cassini spacecraft narrow-angle camera on April 8, 2007 at a distance of approximately 268,000 kilometers (166,000 miles) from Dione and at a Sun-Dione-spacecraft, or phase, angle of 92 degrees. Image scale is 2 kilometers (5,249 feet) per pixel.

So at least, here a RGB spectral filter set was used...

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 24-05-08, 19:10 GMT 

Good Doctor?

Do you suppose that you could pass on some RGB values when you get this finished?
Would very much like to correct my texture if data is available.

Or better yet, how does one go about finding a reliable source for this kind of information? :roll:
Obviously, NASA sources are not always reliable...

Thanks, Brain-Dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 24-05-08, 19:26 GMT 
Site Admin

BobHegwood wrote:
Good Doctor?

Do you suppose that you could pass on some RGB values when you get this finished?
Would very much like to correct my texture if data is available.

Or better yet, how does one go about finding a reliable source for this kind of information? :roll:
Obviously, NASA sources are not always reliable...

Thanks, Brain-Dead

Bob,

I trust the given resource more or less, since the color has been reconstructed from R, G and B filters in visible light. Also the tint of color above makes a lot of sense.

There are NO RGB values I could pass, since I used the GIMP coloration with the above color image of Dione as a template!

Here are some shots with my finalized Dione texture (reduced by a factor of 2 !!!)

Cheers,
Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 24-05-08, 20:44 GMT 
Site Admin

Here is my finalized color of Enceladus. Enceladus is the most reflective object in the Solar System, and is nearly pure white.

The large difference of reflectivity between Dione and Enceladus, is obvious from here

http://ciclops.org/view.php?id=3383
The photo was taken on July 24th 2007.

In this composite image, you can see the rendering of my finalized textures in Celestia, in comparison with the above photo.

Not bad, I think...

Cheers,
Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 24-05-08, 20:59 GMT 
Site Admin

The zoomed-in rendering of bright & icy, 8k Enceladus looks like this, with my final texture:

Fridger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 24-05-08, 21:06 GMT 

These results from Saturn really bring home just how much of a loss the Galileo main antenna failure was.

Out of interest, how did you do the colourisation in GIMP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat, 24-05-08, 21:24 GMT 
Site Admin

ajtribick wrote:
These results from Saturn really bring home just how much of a loss the Galileo main antenna failure was.

Indeed...

Quote:
Out of interest, how did you do the colourisation in GIMP?

OK, since the placement of the relevant menu entries has changed a bit recently, let me take the latest GIMP 2.4.5 as a reference.

• You load a color template image ( e.g. the above Dione photo from http://ciclops.org/view.php?id=2911) along with the image to be colorized into GIMP.
  • Next you switch the grayscale image to RGB mode (Image->Mode->RGB), if it is not yet in this mode.
  • You may select an area of interest in your color template image with the lasso.
  • Now, you are ready to start

Colors->Map->Sample Colorize,

which opens with a nice GUI. On the right, you must select the color template image, on the left the image to be colorized. Next make sure you activate "Use subcolors" below the color template! The other entries should be OK by default.
  • Hit: Get sample colors at the bottom. After a little while, you see the preview in colorized form. You may play with the output color window perhaps...If you like the result, hit Apply, and the main image will be colorized. If you dislike the result, hit CTRL+Z ;-) and restart.
  • finally it is usually advantagous to apply one of the recent "denoising" plugins for a final "polish". There is a quite recent one ("Wavelet Denoise") which is fast and state-of-the-art. Another good one is "GREYCstoration".

The results are usually EXCELLENT...

Fridger

Last edited by t00fri on Sat, 24-05-08, 21:38 GMT, edited 1 time in total.