It is currently Wed, 19-12-18, 1:32 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Copy of two things
PostPosted: Fri, 07-12-18, 1:55 GMT 

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums. Does anybody have a copy of:

1. The "cia-extract.pl" file, the script used to create "world-capitals.ssc"—I can't find that anywhere.

2. A Mac Disk Image of the "cmodview" tool—Chris Laurel posted a link to it here, but the link is now broken.

Thanks,
LukeCEL.

(P.S. Is there any reason why this web forum uses HTTP, not HTTPS?)

Post subject: Re: Copy of two things
PostPosted: Fri, 07-12-18, 7:41 GMT 
Site Admin

LukeCEL wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums.

Hi LukeCEL,

welcome at Celestial Matters (aka CM)!

Quote:
Does anybody have a copy of:

1. The "cia-extract.pl" file, the script used to create "world-capitals.ssc"—I can't find that anywhere.

After your respective search post some days ago, I had a look already. Although I did the corresponding application for Celestia a long long time ago, I couldn't find this file in my data ...sorry. Actually, you might be successful by doing some further searches for my early contributions (2002 ...) in the Celestia Forums (former 'shatters.net') where you are a member.
Anyway, I'll continue searching.
Quote:
2. A Mac Disk Image of the "cmodview" tool—Chris Laurel posted a link to it here, but the link is now broken.

I am not using a Mac. I coded an improved cmod package as part of celestia.Sci. For a preview have a look here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=910. The sources require a 64bit build environment with a recent Qt5 installation. The celestia.Sci source code and runtime installations for Windows, Mac and Linux will be made public in due time.
Quote:
(P.S. Is there any reason why this web forum uses HTTP, not HTTPS?)

Because Celestial Matters is embedded in a complex server structure (ibiblio.org) and I need help by the ibiblio Admins. Work is under way, however. Incidentally, the same problem exists with The Motherlode to which I am not related ;-)

Cheers,
Fridger

PostPosted: Fri, 07-12-18, 20:51 GMT 

Thanks for the responses. Very excited for the release of Celestia.sci, whenever that will come!

As for cia-extract.pl, I couldn't find it, but I did find a similar script used to extract moon locations.

The main thing is that I don't know how to calculate the "Importance" parameter for capitals. Apparently you wrote out your methodology somewhere, but now I can't find that...

PostPosted: Sat, 08-12-18, 9:09 GMT 
Site Admin

Unfortunately, I was not successful either.

The derivation of my importance weights requires advanced knowledge of math, notably of statistics. Around 2004 I have posted an extensively commented Maple PDF file with the detailed derivations, but cannot find it anymore. Furthermore there are my PERL scripting files that were used to extract the data, convert them to national writing and finally to Celestia .ssc format. Presumably, its all resting on an old desktop machine that I cannot access for now. What I have as part of celestia.Sci are these three .ssc files:
  • earth-Gazetteer-intl.ssc with 41 245 (!) town and village labels on Earth and including my importance weights.
  • moon_locs3.ssc with > 8 500 location labels on the Moon, including my corresponding importance weights.
  • world-capitals.ssc with all 232 world-capitals with my importance weights.
So no disturbing label overlaps...

Question: What do you want to do with these files? They are essentially "complete" and widely tested.

Cheers,
Fridger

PostPosted: Sat, 08-12-18, 18:29 GMT 

t00fri wrote:
Question: What do you want to do with these files? They are essentially "complete" and widely tested.

I wanted to update the world-capitals.ssc file so that it includes some changes and additions to capitals. For example, adding Juba, South Sudan; Pristina, Kosovo; etc.

PostPosted: Sat, 08-12-18, 18:49 GMT 
Site Admin

LukeCEL wrote:
t00fri wrote:

I wanted to update the world-capitals.ssc file so that it includes some changes and additions to capitals. For example, adding Juba, South Sudan; Pristina, Kosovo; etc.

OK why not. I had forgotten about these new capitals since 2004...

PostPosted: Sun, 09-12-18, 12:43 GMT 

Were just the number of inhabitants being accounted for importance or the country's surfaces? I suppose just the capitals must be displayed altogether while the principal towns by inhabitants.

PostPosted: Sun, 09-12-18, 14:59 GMT 
Site Admin

fenerit wrote:
Were just the number of inhabit ed.distribution was used.ants being accounted for importance or the country's surfaces? I suppose just the capitals must be displayed altogether while the principal towns by inhabitants.

For the 41k data base (earth-Gazetteer-intl), I am quite certain that I used the size of the towns / villages as well. Also a log Normal distribution was involved...It was almost 15 years ago!

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon, 10-12-18, 14:34 GMT 
Site Admin

Quote:
P.S. Is there any reason why this web forum uses HTTP, not HTTPS?

LukeCEL (and others interested in our https:// status),

well, a few days ago Ibiblio.org (where celestialmatters.org and also http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/ are hosted) let me know about a certificate that they have deployed. Unfortunately, it includes the domain celestialmatters.org (the good old CM Website) but NOT our far more active forum.celestialmatters.org subdomain!

So at least the CM Website looks already fine and is judged secure by Firefox:
Attachment:
Screenshot_20181210_151422.png
Screenshot_20181210_151422.png [ 4.46 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]

Unfortunately the more active CM forum site (forum.celestialmatters.org ) requires an inclusion of the respective subdomain into the certificate from ibiblio.org, which I guess will happen soon...

Hope this little status report is useful and a bit more concise,

Cheers,
Fridger